Thursday, August 23, 2012

Roman Sites in Northern Italy



I think I'm going to be in Munich towards the end of October for a friend's wedding (the wedding is confirmed, it's my attendance which is still a bit uncertain). If I go, I'd also like to visit some friends in Innsbruck, and spend a few days in northern Italy as well. I'd particularly like to see the Grotte Di Catullo. I'm aware that it's not the actual house Catullus lived in, but I feel the pilgrimage would be worth it all the same. I've been to Rome a few times, but have never made it very far north and this seems like a good opportunity to do so.

While I'm there are there any other nearby sites I should make an effort to get to? The amphitheatre in Verona sounds worth a visit, but I have no idea what else is around that part of Italy. Padua and Mantua (the birthplaces of Livy and Vergil respectively) aren't too far away, but in my brief internet investigations it doesn't seem like there's actually much to make it worth going there.

Any recommendations?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Mo! (Emma here, from your 2006 class). I was in Bologna for a while last year and I made it to Verona, the amphitheatre is definitely worth a visit!! Have fun wherever you end up :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Emma, nice to hear from you. I'll definitely see the amphitheatre. I've also decided to modify my trip a bit and start in Vienna, come through Austria to see some friends and stop in Aquileia (near Udine, near Trieste) on my way to Verona. Should be fun!